Homeowner Resources


What Does a Standard Home Policy Cover?

While coverage varies depending on your insurance provider and several other factors, most standard policies provide coverage for the following:

Structures and Dwelling

Your homeowner’s insurance provides funds to repair or reconstruct your home if it sustains damage from hail, lightning, water leaking or freezing, downed tree branches, mold and mildew, or other disasters. It also includes coverage for detached structures like garages, tool sheds, and gazebos, typically up to 10% of the house’s insured amount. However, it does not cover damages caused by floods, earthquakes, or regular wear and tear. Remember this rule when buying coverage for your home’s structure: make sure you have enough to rebuild it entirely if necessary.

Personal Possessions

Your belongings, including furniture, clothing, sports equipment, and other personal items, are protected under your insurance in case of theft or damage from insured disasters such as fire or hurricanes. Typically, coverage amounts to 50 to 70 percent of your home’s structural insurance.

Take an inventory of your belongings to determine how much coverage to obtain. 

The coverage for personal belongings extends to items stored outside your home, providing protection even while traveling. However, some insurers may restrict this coverage to 10 percent of your overall insurance amount for possessions. Up to $500 is included in case of unauthorized credit card usage. While expensive items such as jewelry, furs, art, collectibles, and silverware are covered under this policy, there may be limitations when it comes to theft. A separate personal property endorsement or floater can be purchased for complete coverage of these valuable items. 


Standard homeowners insurance typically covers landscaping such as trees, plants, grasses, bushes, and shrubbery, usually up to $500 per item. However, it’s important to note that this coverage does not extend to disease or neglect from improper care and maintenance.

No-Fault Medical 

In addition to your regular coverage, your policy also includes no-fault medical protection. This means that in the event of an injury to a guest in your home, their medical expenses can be billed directly to your insurance provider. This allows expenses to be handled without needing a liability claim against you. It’s important to note that this coverage does not extend to medical bills for your family members or pets.

Liability Protection 

Liability protection shields you from legal action resulting in injury or property damage to others due to your or your loved one’s actions. This coverage also extends to any harm caused by your pets. For instance, you will be protected if your child or dog accidentally damages a neighbor’s valuable rug.  

The liability section of your policy covers the expenses of defending you in court and any court-ordered payments, as outlined in your policy documents.

Typically, liability limits begin at $100,000. Yet, it is advisable to consult with your insurance agent about the possibility of obtaining additional coverage. When you possess considerable assets and seek more excellent protection than your homeowner’s policy offers an excess liability policy might be worth considering. These policies provide more extensive coverage and higher limits for liability.

Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses

If you cannot live at home because of damage caused by an insured disaster, additional living expenses (ALE) cover your extra costs of living away from home. Hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other costs incurred while your home is being rebuilt or repaired are covered in addition to your usual living expenses.

Please be aware that the ALE coverage within your homeowners’ policy may have limitations, such as time or monetary restrictions. These limits are distinct from the allocated amount for rebuilding or repairing your home. If you exhaust your ALE coverage, your insurance company will still cover the entire cost of rebuilding your home up to the maximum policy limit.

If renting out a section of your home, ALE will also provide coverage for the lost rental income you would have received from your tenant if your residence had not been uninhabitable due to a covered event.

Share Post :

Popular Posts

The Claims Process: Tips & Tricks

Managing the claims process efficiently can significantly impact the outcome. Here are some tips and tricks to help you navigate…

Navigating Homeowners Insurance: A Comprehensive Review of Top Companies

Homeownership is a significant milestone, but the responsibility of protecting your investment comes with it. Homeowners insurance is a crucial…

All About Deductibles

Understanding how deductibles work in homeowners insurance is crucial for effectively managing your policy and financial responsibilities in the event…

ACV vs. RCV Insurance: What’s the Difference?

When it comes to homeowners insurance, understanding the nuances of your policy is crucial, particularly in how it handles property…